Thursday, February 11, 2010

Rumble fallout

Alright, I went on a little blogging hiatus due to paper grading and other academic duties. But that doesn't mean that I haven't tried to watch most of the wrestling I can catch on Time Warner in the last few weeks. I guess I should address foremost the Royal Rumble.

So unsurprising, Edge returned from injury to win the Rumble match a la John Cena a few years back. I like the face Edge, one because the crowd (myself included) has not forgotten what a bastard he was as a heel, and because Edge can work the mic in this tweener position. He crashing out Sheamus was great, especially because Sheamus's character is somewhat dopey. His "loss" against Randy Orton was well played at the Rumble I think. Because laying him out takes away from the boring invincibility gimmick that had him going. It was better, in other words, when he was still Razor's Edging Jamie Noble and kicking camera men, because it shows that he's just a posturing asshole who wants to appear tough. Him in cahoots with Legacy is building nicely, and I wonder if Orton is going to turn face, despite rumors for about a year of Dibiase turning face.

The actual Rumble match had some pretty good story telling: Shawn kicking Trips, obviously, but also McIntyre and Morrison getting double chokeslammed, R-Truth eliminating both Mark Henry and Big Show, and especially, especially CM Punk's beginning streak and promo routine. Hairy-chested CM Punk is a great character, and he is proving to be one of the best talkers and actors in the business. His hurt look when Batista dismissed him truly put Big Dave over as a jerk while at the same time adding complexity to CM Punk's potentially one-note character. Not sure where his stable is going in terms of story-line, but I am eager to follow it.

After the Rumble, we of course, got the build for Bret Hart. After his first appearance, I was almost wincing, but Hart alleviated all my fears in his next few spots. He looks much better after being off air for a month, and he seems to have thrown away the script for some classic Bret Hart circa 1996-97 promos, that have the aura of a shoot. And if the E can let Hart do as he pleases, then my hope for wrestling in 2010 is strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment